Monday, July 4, 2011

Wrong side of the bed.

Jeez Louise did I wake up cranky today! I had a LOVELY weekend. Truly, one of the best I've had, ever. But! All of the food and drinks caught up with me this morning, when I woke up feeling huge and lazy. My plan was to get up at 6, run by the lake at 6:30, home for breakfast and a shower by 7:15. Well, I ignored my melodious alarm at 6, and promptly went back to sleep for another hour and a half. Rude! I woke up at 7:45 feeling like a lazy, lazy, bum. A very large lazy bum. I went for a run once I finally got moving (at around 8:20...), but after a mile I pretty much fizzled. C25K is not delivering lately! I think I'm going to take a step back and stall out, halfway through week 6. That's 10 minutes on, 3 off, 10 on. I'll do that one a couple of times, and then try the 25 minuter again. We'll see if that helps! As is, when I don't complete the long ones it puts me in a sour mood. Needless to say, running this morning did nothing to help my crankiness- if anything, it made it worse. 

So, in an attempt to pull myself out of this funk, I'm going to relive my weekend on here! Huzzah. 

Friday was epic on many levels. First of all, it was approximately a million degrees out. Or, you know, 95, but still. April and Bin moved into their new place, so a couple of us went over to help them. Lifting and carrying things in that heat wasn't exactly fun, but good company goes a long way. I also missed a large chunk of move-time so that I could drive Anders to the airport, and cook dinner for Duncan and Alli. I made them pasta with a ragu, following one of my recipes from the cooking class I had in Florence. It tasted pretty good to me! I wanted to make something that I probably wouldn't eat, but they'd like and I'd enjoy cooking. It involved half a cup of olive oil, half a stick of butter, and three pounds of ground meat so... healthy! I actually made the sauce on Thursday and let it cook all night, so that all I had to do on Friday was make the pasta, reheat the sauce, and deliver. After I did all that, I went back to help some more with the move. April and Bin got us pizza and beer as a thank you, and we all hung out a bit after dinner. I think I rolled on home at around 9:30, and was asleep by 10:30. 

Saturday morning, I woke up early and Caitlin and I went to the Farmer's Market. We got the most beautiful strawberries, and I also got a couple bags of spinach. Oh, and obviously a few scones. Delightful. After a quick round at the market, we hopped in the car to get April. The three of us went up to Wollersheim Winery to enjoy the tour and the scenery! It was really a great morning/afternoon. It was a little warm, but we didn't mind. We took the tour, bought some wine, and sat outside and played a rousing game of Wine-opoly! 

I say "rousing," but it was really the nicest game ever played. "Oh, you need the third green one to get a monopoly? Well, I have that one. You can have it, if you want." "Well thanks so much! I see you have a purple one, here are the other two and then you can have a monopoly too!" "Great! I'll give you a discount next time you land on one of my properties..."

We continued on in this way for quite some time. We finished a bottle of wine, and made a serious dent in some kettle corn from the market. No one won. Or... everyone won? Best day ever.

April took lots of Wisconsin countryside photos on our drive back to town:

On our drive back, we stopped at Bin's parents' house and met their new puppy! So cute. She was very sweet, and surprisingly good at fetch- when she wasn't trying to eat the stick! Delicious. Fiber.

Saturday night, Madison put on a fireworks show called rhythm and booms. Tom, April, Bin and I tried to go to Warner park to see it, but it was just wayyyy too crowded. We wound up at my park of choice, James Madison, where we camped out on a few blankets and watched the show over the lake. It was really awesome. 

The sunset before the show was also ridiculously gorgeous:

On Sunday, I went to New Glarus with Garreth and his wife, Lauren. They're some of my favorite people here, and they're also former Austin residents with lots of things-to-do advice. We had a great time first wandering around an adorable little town called Paoli, and then hanging out at the brewery. 

It was another perfect day with lovely friends.

You're looking at two Totally Naked's with a Two Women in the middle. I'm not sure that was entirely grammatically correct, but... delicious.

Today involves hanging out with Bin and April again to celebrate the 4th! My mood is already improving just from reliving these last few days. I'm really going to miss weekends like this one when I'm in Austin!

Happy 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment